The ResQmat emergency evacuation aid, enables individuals with mobility impairments to be quickly and safely moved to a point of safety, in the event of a fire or similar emergency. Designed for use in multi-storey buildings, where stair evacuation is the only option - due to lifts being inoperable in an emergency situation.
Used primarily for the evacuation of patients and residents in healthcare settings such as hospitals, care homes and hospices, the ResQmat is used all around the globe as a substitute for other evacuation devices in the marketplace, such as chairs and conventional stretchers, as they tend to minimise the manual handling problems associated with the traditional methods used.
The ResQmat is ideal for use with both children and adults thanks to it's adjustable design. The internal foam mattress, built in pillow and enclosed design help to protect the individual while being moved and keep them comfortable and secure once at a point of safety - which is particularly important for patients/residents with dementia who may become distressed or wander during an emergency.
The ResQmat comes in a highly visible, velcro sided storage bag with an easy to follow pictorial instruction label on the front, which can be used as a reminder for designated personnel on how to use the mat in an emergency situation when panic may set in. The ResQmat, complete in its storage bag can be wall mounted ready for immediate use or stored in a cupboard with other emergency supplies.
In an emergency the ResQmat is taken to the individual to be evacuated and released from its storage bag, by pulling the white velcro seams apart. The ResQmat is then laid out beside the individual ready for them to be transferred on to the device - this can performed from a bed, floor, chair or wheelchair.
Once the transfer has been performed, the material sides of the ResQmat are wrapped around the individual and the strong, black velcro straps are fastened, securely enclosing the individual within the mat.
Ensuring that the individual's feet are inside the V section of the red webbing strap, this strap can then be tightened to adjust the length of the ResQmat to ensure that the individual is secure and to prevent him/her from slipping down inside the mat when being moved down flights of stairs. The Individual is then ready to be towed to a point of safety.
The ResQmat has a polypropylene base which enables it to move easily over most surfaces and enables it to be manoeuvred in a controllable manner which is less strenuous for the carers.
The ResQmat has been safe load tested to a weight of 300kg (47 stone). However, due to the physical mass of a person of this size it would not be impossible for a bariatric person to fit comfortably into the ResQmat, for safe evacuation. It is therefore recommend that it is not used for individuals over 160kg (25 stone).
It is advisable that a minimum of two designated personnel handle the ResQmat. To reduce the risk of injury to staff, the maximum weight being pulled should not be more than that of the combined weight of the handlers - as a general rule the safe working load for two handlers is 120kg. However, the total number of handlers needed to safely evacuate an individual should be based on a risk assessment.
Each individual, who would require assistance during an evacuation, should have their own handling plan (PEEPS) and this should be considered and equipment assessed in line with that plan prior to any use.
ResQmats are MRI and X-Ray compatible and are also CE approved.
As a general rule, only a ResQmat that has been used for staff training or for partial evacuation within a building (between internal fire safety zones) may need cleaning if it becomes dirty.
If cleaning does become necessary, this can be done by removing the mattress cover from the rescue sheet - which is held in place by velcro, and then removing the foam mattress and pillow from within the cover.
The cover can then be washed at a temperature of up to 80°C and either drip dried or tumble dried on a low temperature to avoid shrinking. The rescue sheet and polypropylene board can be wiped with antibacterial wipes and air dried. Only once all the components are fully dried, should they be put back together and stored away.
If the ResQmat is used for a total evacuation and is pulled over road surfaces or gravel, the polypropylene base board may become worn and not fit for use after the evacuation process has been completed. At this point, the ResQmat has done it's intended job and should be replaced by a new ResQmat in preparation for future emergencies.
NB. After use or washing, visual checks should be made on the stitching, velcro straps, base board and webbing pulling handles. If any damage has occurred the ResQmat should be replaced.
- Packed size
- 51cm x 51cm x 22cm
- 225cm x 48cm with two side wings 41cm
- Mattress 48cm wide x 3cm thick
- Pillow 10cm thick
- Polypropylene flexible board 46cm x 210cm
- Yellow nylon
- Safety tested to
- 300kg but recommend that weight should not exceed 160kg
- Recommended safe working load
- 120kg for two handlers
- CE marked
- Can a ResQmat be used in any building?
- Yes - depending on the size and style of stairwells and landings.
- Is the ResQmat suitable for bariatric individuals?
- Although the ResQmat has been weight load tested to 300kg (47 stone) due to the physical mass of a person of this size it would be impossible for a bariatric individual to fit comfortably into the ResQmat, for safe evacuation.
- Also the ResQmat does not have enough handling straps to facilitate this as multiple handlers would be required to safely move a bariatric individual - please refer to the safety instructions for advice on safe working load weights.
- If a very large individual is to be moved, a device such as the Bariatric EvacMat, also available from Spectrum Healthcare, should be considered.
- What happens if the ResQmat is used in an emergency?
- Once the ResQmat has been used in an evacuation - if any damage occurs, it is recommended that it should be replaced - see cleaning and care.
- Are ResQmats ok to use with very elderly or fragile patients?
- The ResQmat is ideal for use with elderly or fragile patients as they are securely cocooned within the Mat and protected from bumps by the internal mattress and pillow.
- If the patient has is suffering from brittle bones, then an adaptable product such as the double thickness Ski Pad, also available from Spectrum Healthcare, should be considered.
- Does a ResQmat need maintenance?
- See cleaning and care instructions. Visual Checks should be made after each use and wash. Should any damage occur to stitching, webbing, Velcro straps, base board or padding it should be replaced.
- Is the ResQmat MRI and X-Ray safe?
- Yes. The ResQmat does not contain any metal components.
- Are ResQmats supplied with wall fixings?
- No. Due to varying policies on safe, appropriate wall fixing for individual organisations/companies the ResQmats are not supplied with fixings. However, suitable hooks can be purchased from any DIY store.
- Are demonstrations available?
- Free product demonstrations are available throughout the UK, Ireland and other distribution countries, subject to prior arrangement and availability of consultants.
- Is there any training available?
- Training packages are available throughout the UK, Ireland and other distribution countries, subject to prior arrangement.
- Training can be conducted as a group session for all staff or as train the trainer sessions for key members of staff, which can then be cascaded down to other staff members by the trained personnel.
Your enquiry will be forwarded to the distributor.
Spectrum Healthcare (UK) Ltd 1 Kingsthorpe Business Centre 63 Studland Road Kingsthorpe Northampton NN2 6NE United Kingdom
Tel: +44 (0)1793 762928 Fax: +44 (0)1604 586576 Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
Spectrum Healthcare (UK) Ltd are committed to protecting your privacy and personal data. We’ll only ask for, and keep data that is adequate and relevant. By using this contact form you are consenting to us using the data required within it to enable us to fulfil your request.
Any information you provide us is stored on servers and filing systems in the UK, controlled and managed by Spectrum Healthcare and securely protected against external digital threats and cyber-crime by our IT Support Specialists Bluemoon Solutions.
We will only use your data for the following reasons:
- To respond to your enquiries/queries
- To send you quotations or relevant product information following the above
- To process orders and training requirement
- To follow up on any of the above
- For billing and accounting purposes
- To contact you occasionally by email, to tell you about products and services provided by us, however you may choose to opt out of these at any time by return email
We do not disclose any personal data to third parties for their own marketing purposes. However, your data may be shared with trusted third parties for the following reasons:
- Some personal data will be shared with training providers, distributors and delivery companies as part of our order fulfilment and shipping process.
- For accounting and VAT purposes
- In cases where we are required by law to pass on information or if we believe action is necessary for fraud, cyber-crime or to protect the website, rights and personal safety of person/s.
Further information for persons outside of the UK
Spectrum Healthcare work with trusted distributors in various territories around the world. As such we may share your information with these parties as part of your enquiry/order fulfilment.